It will be necessary to calibrate the printer, and in fact, the print head, if there are defects when printing on paper: a violation of color rendering, overlapping letters, lines, images on top of each other, blurring. It can be done in several ways: with the help of official utilities from manufacturers, and special programs, and if this does not bring results, then you will need to use the device “calibrator”. This article will walk you through the step-by-step algorithms for calibrating inkjet and laser printing devices from Epson, HP, Canon, and others in different ways.
A bit of theory
Before proceeding with the calibration itself, you need to prepare everything, namely: connect the printer to the computer, put a few sheets of paper in the tray, and turn on the device.
Using the maintenance utility
The main reason why the color balance is out of order or letters and lines are overlapping, lies in the violation of the position of the print head. Therefore, first, you need to tackle fixing this problem.
You need to follow these steps:
HP technology uses similar proprietary software for servicing printing devices. All steps are similar to the instructions for Canon or Epson but may differ depending on the specific model. The sequence of user actions for calibration is as follows:
Manipulation of cartridges
Some office equipment models have several ink cartridges of different colors. They are used unevenly: some paint is consumed more, others less. If you need to deactivate certain cartridges or turn on everything, then this is done according to the following algorithm:
And you can also enable additional special parameters of the printing device. They help improve printer performance, extend the life of parts, and reduce the risk of operating errors. To do this, you need to find the Special parameters option in the Service tab, and there you can select several options:
Cleaning other components
To avoid paper feed problems or smudges on the paper, you should periodically clean some parts of the printer. To do this, you need to pay attention to the functions in the tab With their help, you can deeply clean the pallet, nozzles, rollers. After selecting the desired option, a window will appear on the monitor with step-by-step instructions for cleaning.
Tincture of flowers
The final step in calibration is a color adjustment. This is required if the color balance on the printed sheets is not at all the same as on the monitor. Or you don’t like the color configuration and want to change it. The algorithm is as follows:
Using ProfilerPro and a scanner
Another way to calibrate your printer is to use ProfilerPro. It will fit most brands, including Pantum, Xerox, Samsung. The program will only work with Photoshop, so you need to install it from the official Adobe website. Photoshop does not need to be configured, just go to the menu with two options presented – DoctorPro and ProfilerPro. Choose the second one, launch it.
Further, the algorithm will be as follows:
- Select Print
- Color Correction
- Select speed
- Set Poor print quality
- Choose A4 format
- Set profile
- Color Correction
- Save the template
- Start printing
If all these measures did not help to calibrate the printing device, you will need a device – a calibrator. The most common brands are SpyderPRINT, Pantone, X-Rite. The composition includes the device itself and a stand for it. It connects to the printer via USB. Additionally comes software from the manufacturer.
- SpyderPRINT – the main advantages of SpyderPRINT calibrators: correction of scales using a large library of templates and profiles, work with different interfaces, the choice of the desired language. The calibration procedure using such a device is not a minute matter, and therefore you will have to wait. After its completion, you do not need to immediately turn on the printer, it should dry for at least 15 minutes.
- Pantone – When using a Pantone brand instrument, the calibration can be performed in 2 methods – easy and advanced. In the first case, automatic settings are applied, and the color spectrum is not involved. With extended calibration, all parameters are assigned. Duration – up to half an hour.
- X-Rite – the advantages of X-Rite calibrators include: simple installation, intuitive software, fast operation, use of the latest technologies, color correction, compatibility with different printing devices.
Features of laser printer calibration
Calibration of the laser printing device occurs without additional programs, through the settings. By default, it is recommended to do it after each cartridge replacement.
The sequence is simple (example for devices equipped with a control panel on the case):
- Connect the printer to the network.
- Place multiple sheets in the tray.
- Start the menu, select Printer Calibrator
- Click Print
- Mark the required templates.
- Compare instances.
Many models allow this procedure to be performed in a similar way to inkjet: