There is no doubt that with the fast-paced world we live in; it has become crucial to execute our daily tasks in a time-sensitive manner! This includes printing and copying important documents, images, and text! That means you need to invest in printing devices that are multi-functional, precise, and most importantly, those that are reliable.
Luckily, these are the exact sentiments that come to mind, when we think of the HP brand. There has to be a reason why HP devices are so well-known and trusted. Not only is their performance commendable but in case of any issues, malfunctions, or problems with the printer, you can also rely on their swift recovery. After all, we need our devices to deliver within a moment’s notice.
One issue that springs up quite easily on HP devices is when their memory becomes full. This implies that you cannot print or scan any more documents since the printer’s memory is at its maximum. We can’t have that happen especially if we intend to use our printer at that moment. Therefore, today’s review will keep all of these factors in mind as we try to figure out how to clear memory on an HP printer.
Before we get to that, let’s figure out the main causes why you need to clear the memory anyways!
Why do you need to clear memory on the HP printer?
There are quite a few causes why you might have a full memory on your HP printer.
- The first reason might be that your printer’s firmware is outdated.
- The second reason why your printer memory is full might be due to the core printer memory is at full capacity.
- The third reason might be due to a print job that has graphics too complex to be printed.
- Another reason might be that you have downloaded a lot of scans, fonts, or faxes that have used up the print memory.
How to clear memory on an HP printer?
Most experts recommend that to clear your memory, a factory reset should be opted for. However, this needs to be the last step you take! There are easier methods to try out before this.
Method 1 is to delete the print queue.
The goal is to make sure that you make every possible choice before you go for a hard reset! So, the first method as an alternative is to clear the memory on your HP printer. Here is what you need to do:
- First, you will start by opening the Start menu. Then go to the search box and write in Devices and Printers.
- Then, you can search for your HP printer. Once you find it, double-click on it.
- Once this is done, you will see that there are quite a few print jobs in a row ready to be executed. However, these might just be what is taking up your device’s memory! So, you can delete these if they are not necessary.
Method 2 is to try deleting your fax log
Another method to opt for is to delete the memory entirely! This includes the fax log. A log will store information that you might no longer need so it is perfectly fine to clear it out. Here is what you need to do to clean out the fax log on your HP device.
- First, log onto the printer’s interface to access the Fax log. This will be accessed instead of your PC.
- Then, you can go to the menu on your device and select the option for Tools with the interface.
- Then you can select the option for Clear Fax Log option and then click on OK to execute this.
- After this, your internal memory for your printer will be cleared out and you can use your device again.
Unfortunately, if neither of these methods has worked out for you, you will have to move onto the final method.
Method 3 is to update the firmware and reset your printer
The issue arises when you try to take out a print and there is an error that appears that your memory is full. You can then click on OK to skip the printing option or click on cancel to end this altogether.
Again, before you proceed to the reset, you can try to update the firmware first.
- First, you will go to the control panel and get a configuration report from the printer.
- You then need to search for your device by going to HP Customer Support.
- After this, you’ll go to the next page where you will see options for Firmware, software, and drivers. Click on all three of these.
- After this, go to the Firmware section and click on Details.
- Scroll down to and expand the Firmware section.
- It will show you all the details for the firmware, including its version. You can compare this version info to the details on the Configuration Report.
- If you don’t have the newest version, we recommend you go to the HP website and click install the latest one.
If the issue has not been fixed even after all that, then you need to head to the control panel and look for the printer defaults. You can restore these. If you need more information on factory settings and restore options, we recommend that you go to the official HP website.
We recommend that you seek direct and professional help from HP support in case you are still getting the memory full error on your HP printer.
See also: Where To Find WPS PIN On HP Printer?
We understand that you need to use your printer without any pauses or disturbances. So, to use it within a moment’s notice, learning how to clear memory on an HP printer is a vital skill.
Now, you no longer have to stop your vital work and easily fix the issue with the easy steps listed above.