The printer thinks for a long time before printing – a common occurrence caused by a malfunction, malfunction, or misconfiguration. Fix Slow Printing Now The performance is influenced by: the state of the cartridges, the amount of RAM, the presence of drivers, the quality of communication between the PC and peripheral equipment.
To restore the functionality of the device, it is necessary to accurately determine the main reasons due to which it began to work slowly. You will learn what to do and how to fix the problem yourself from this article.
- 1 Compare real and factory print speeds
- 2 Trouble-shooting
- 2.1 In the printer
- 2.2 Checking the power cord
- 2.3 Replacing the cartridge
- 2.4 In a personal computer
- 2.5 Virus scan
- 2.6 Checking for slow printing on another PC with a problem printer
- 2.7 With communication between devices
- 3 Features of inkjet technology
- 4 I started to print PDF files slowly: we split them into several smaller ones
Compare real and factory print speeds
Actual printer performance is usually less than advertised as manufacturers test the device under simplified conditions. For example, they determine the speed by printing partially filled sheets, which reduces the load on the device.
When choosing a printer, consider the ISO performance value. This indicator is considered reliable and reliable since during the test the device is subjected to different levels of stress. The results of several tests are compared and the average speed values are determined.
The actual performance of the device also differs from the declared one due to the peculiarities of the PC or lack of connection. The type of connection, the operating system of the computer, the amount of RAM will affect. Speed may drop under increased load, such as when printing documents with graphic content or a large number of pages.
A quick way to identify the culprit: printing a test sheet from the printer
You can use a simple benchmark to determine the actual performance of peripheral hardware on a Windows computer. If the printer hesitates for a long time, print a test page before using it.
- Click on the “Start” button in the lower left corner of the screen and select “Devices and Printers” from the menu that opens.
- Find the name of the machine in the list, move the mouse over it, right-click and select “Printer properties”.
- In the window that opens, click on the “Test Print” button, as a result of which a test sheet will be sent to the printer and you can estimate the speed of work.
If the machine slows printing or does not respond to a command, use the help provided by Windows Support. To do this, click on the line that appears in the window when you send the test sheet.
Read More: Best Sublimation Printer for T-shirts
After making sure that the machine is running slowly, you can speed it up by checking for common problems first. In some cases, qualified maintenance and repair of equipment may be required.
In the printer
Typically, slow printing is caused by a malfunction in the machine itself. If you notice that performance has dropped, follow these guidelines.
Checking the power cord
The speed is degraded due to a change in power consumption mode caused by voltage drops or surges in the network.
To check the power cord:
- Turn off the machine and unplug the cable from the network. Make sure that it is not damaged: scratches, cracks, tears, and other defects.
- Remove the surge protector, extension cord, or other intermediate device between the appliance and the outlet.
- Plug the power cord back in, turn on the device, start printing a test sheet through the Windows control panel.
Replacing the cartridge
The speed of operation and the life of the equipment depends on the components. One of the reasons for a fix is installing the wrong cartridge. This usually occurs when an incompatible consumable is inserted into the machine. The speed and quality of printing drops, spots, color defects, and blur appear on the sheets.
To correct the situation, replace the cartridge with the one recommended by the printer manufacturer. This will restore normal speed and reduce the risk of failure caused by the installation of low-quality components.
- How to remove the cartridge
- Methods for replacing the cartridge in the printer
Reset the software settings in case of malfunction. This operation can be done in two ways: reinstall the device driver on the PC, or perform a manual reset. The algorithm for performing the procedure depends on the manufacturer and model. To reset the settings, see your printer’s manual and detailed instructions. And you can also try universal ways to reboot.
Clearing the print queue
One of the reasons for the fix slow printing operation of the printer is the overload of the device. This occurs in cases where the user prints documents with many pages or graphic content. Clearing the queue will relieve the load on the peripheral and increase its performance.
- Open “Start”, select “Devices and Printers”, and find the picture with the name of your printer.
- In the upper part of the panel, click on the line “View print queue” – a window with a list of documents will open. Select “Printer” and then click “Clear Print Queue”.
Increase RAM memory
If your printer uses RAM, this method will improve the printing speed. The increased RAM prevents overloading the machine by handling many pages or documents of different sizes. Please note that this feature is not available on all models.
Magnification method for peripheral equipment on Windows:
- In the control panel, select the required device, right-click and click on the line “Printer properties”.
- In the window that opens, open the “Parameters” item and change the amount of the device’s RAM to the maximum.
In a personal computer
Print speed directly depends not only on the characteristics of the printer but also on the PC. If the device is running slowly, check that there is no glitch or problem with the computer. Fix the Complete slow printing Now
Checking Print Settings: Factory Reset
On a PC, you can manually set the operating mode of the printer, depending on the number and content of documents. To do this, there are print settings that can be set through the control panel.
Read also this Problem: Why Printer Prints Half a Page?
Go to the “Device and Printers” tab, find the desired device and click on it with the right mouse button. In the context menu, select the “Print settings” item, where you can set the optimal mode, change the parameters of the paper used, the quality and resolution of graphic materials.
Rreeing up PC memory: closing unnecessary programs
Peripheral performance depends on the speed of the PC. If the computer is running slowly due to overloaded memory, this will affect the printing speed. The easiest way to free up RAM is to close unnecessary programs.
- Enter “Start” and enter “task manager” in the search box, launch this application. It can also be invoked by the Ctrl + Alt + Del key combination.
- In the window that opens, in the “Applications” tab, select unnecessary programs and execute the command “End task”. As a result, unnecessary applications will be closed, which will reduce the load on the processor, free up memory and speed up the PC.
PCs with poor performance experience freezes when starting to print from the printer. This usually happens when working with documents in JPG and PDF formats, as they require more processing power to process them than for simple text files.
There are several ways to get rid of freezing:
- Increase the amount of RAM in the PC.
- Clean or replace the cooler, thermal paste (if the system unit is very hot).
- Configure autostart applications and services.
- Scan for viruses.
Reinstalling the driver
If documents are printing slowly, try updating or reinstalling the device driver. This helps to restore the device in case of malfunctions or incompatibility with the PC.
- Enter the “Devices and Printers” section in the control panel, select the one you need, open the context menu with the right mouse button and open “Printer Properties”.
- In the window that appears, go to the “Advanced” section and opposite the driver line, click on the “Change” command.
- An installation wizard will start on your computer, which will help you download the necessary software to control the external device. Select the required printer model from the list provided and click “Next”.
- If the required model is not in the list, you can download the driver from the manufacturer’s official website or from the disk that is attached in the package.
You can also reinstall the driver through the device manager:
- Find it through the start button.
- Among the devices, mark your printer, and with the right mouse button, open the context menu, where you will find the item “Update driver”.
- Then follow the instructions of the installation wizard.
Using service utilities
You can solve the problem with slow printing by using assistive software. The standard option is Windows Troubleshooting, which is installed by default on your PC and will help you identify errors as well.
To run the utility, enter “Devices and Printers”, find the required machine, open the context menu and run the test by selecting the “Troubleshoot” command.
Malware can down PC performance and interfere with communication with external devices. Therefore, if you have problems with printing, it is worth checking your computer for viruses. This can be done through the standard Windows Defender program or through downloadable software. Use the free Dr.Web Cure It application, which performs a deep scan of the file system and detects malicious files. Due to Malware Slow Printing Issue Occur
Read Also about Printers: Best Printers for Cardstock 2021 – Quality Prints
Restore system files
The speed of the connected equipment depends on the operation of the PC operating system. If the system files are damaged, the OS is unstable, which leads to various failures and errors. The easiest way to check is with the SFC service utility.
- In the search box “Start” enter CMD.EXE, hover over the found program with the mouse, call the context and execute “Run as administrator”.
- In the window that opens, enter the command “sfc / scannow”, which will start a search for damaged system files. After the procedure, the program will report the detected and corrected errors.
Checking for slow printing on another PC with a problem printer
If the print speed cannot be restored, check that the printer is causing the problem with the computer. To do this, connect the device to another PC and start printing. If the machine is operating at normal speed with identical settings, this indicates a problem with the computer.
With communication between devices
The printer may be malfunctioning due to connection problems. It is necessary to check the connection and if any errors are found, correct them.
Checking the USB port, cable (replacement if necessary)
If the printer is connected to the PC with a cable, remove it and check for damage. Inspect the connectors as they can collect dust and prevent proper connection.
If, when connected, the computer does not see a peripheral device, then this indicates a possible malfunction of the cord. Replace it with a new one, preferably not too long, so that the distance between the device and the PC is minimal.
Many printer models connect to a PC via a wireless interface. Slow connection speeds cause documents to print slowly. There are several ways to solve this problem.
Checking the connection
Some printers have the ability to check the network status. If the quality of communication between the router, PC, and peripheral device is poor, it is recommended to disconnect them and then reconnect them later.
If the printer supports WPS technology, then you need to click on the corresponding button and then perform a similar procedure on the router. As a result, the devices will connect automatically and it will be enough to add the printer to the PC in the control panel. If WPS is not supported, read the operating instructions for your printing device and follow the instructions for connecting to the router via standard functionality.
Long distance between devices
If the Wi-Fi printer is too slow, it is recommended to shorten the distance between the PC and router. This will improve the signal quality and increase the data transfer rate, which is especially important when printing bulky documents.
Resetting the router
Any wireless router has a factory reset option. To reset, you must click on the corresponding button located on the router case. The reconfiguration will be required, but this will eliminate possible interruptions when connecting PCs and other devices.
Features of inkjet technology
Inkjet printers print slowly compared to laser printers, which should be considered when buying. At the same time, a number of factors affect the speed of work, which is why users face difficulties.
For inkjet printers, use only compatible components of the appropriate quality. Do not refuel cartridges yourself without experience in this matter and do not buy cheap parts. If you use non-original components, there is a risk of ink leakage and damage. The ink in these cartridges dries quickly and needs to be replaced again.
Dirt inside the printer: clean the contacts, rinse the print head
The device needs maintenance, as without it, the likelihood of failure increases. If the printer thinks for a long time and Slow Printing, a comprehensive cleaning is necessary.
The general algorithm is as follows:
- Turn off the device, if it has recently been used, unplug it from the mains.
- Move the printheads to the replacement position and carefully remove them.
- Clean the ledges and edges of the nozzles and the area near the electrical contacts with a damp, lint-free cloth.
- Return the printheads to their original position and turn on the printer.
- How to clean the cartridge
- Head flushing
- Cleaning the Printer
Incorrect position of CISS loops
Some inkjet printers and MFPs have a continuous ink supply system as an alternative to conventional ink cartridges. CISS is connected by means of loops that are laid inside the case. If they are not positioned correctly, the movement of the ink spraying carriage is impeded.
I started to print PDF files slowly: we split them into several smaller ones
More RAM is required to process PDF documents, which puts additional stress on the printer. To make it work faster, print the file piece by piece.
- Open the document in Adobe Acrobat, in the right-left corner go to the File section and select Print.
- In the window that opens, specify the page numbers and other parameters. Print no more than 50 sheets at a time to reduce stress.
- While the printer is printing the first pages, send the next part of the document to the queue.
You can split the document into parts and save each of them in the paid version of Adobe Acrobat. You can also do this using an online service on the Internet. To do this, you need to upload the PDF to the site and specify the range of pages to be divided into separate documents.